Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Baked Salmon & Asparagus.... Easy Asian Style

This is a terrific recipe that was the quickest, tastiest and least messy salmon dish I think I’ve ever cooked. And it just comes out looking so impressive that if I ever did fancy throwing a dinner party, this would be on my list of things to cook.

Or it would be a great date dinner – it looks really posh, with such minimal effort (unlike the hostess – looks great with hours of effort!).

As I was sadly dateless, I made this just for me – so feel free to expand the recipe as required.


Baked Salmon & Asparagus in Asian Sauce

1 Salmon fillet
1 tsp Garlic – minced
1 tsp Ginger – minced
1 Tbs Shaoxing Cooking Wine
1 Tbs Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Light Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 Tbs Fish Sauce
2 Tbs Water
4 Asparagus Spears – trimmed

Combine all ingredients except fish and asparagus in a bowl – stir until sugar has dissolved.

Spray a non stick shallow baking dish with oil spray. Place fish skin side up in dish, lay the asparagus next to the fish. Pour the sauce over, cover with foil and bake for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, carefully remove dish and check for doneness. If you prefer your fish cooked further, turn the fillet over, re-cover in foil and cook until ready to your liking.

Serve salmon and asparagus over steamed rice, with sauce drizzled over.

Tasting Notes

  • Divine. Delicious and dangerously easy! I want it again tonight, and tomorrow night... it was so good!

  • I like a bit of sauce with this dish – if you find the flavour a bit overpowering, reduce the measures to your taste.

  • Any firm fish fillets could be used and the sauce can be varied to your tastes.

  • I like my salmon rather done so I baked my fish for 20 mins – 10 minutes on each side, however it will depend on your liking. The asparagus could’ve come out a few minutes earlier – this I will do if I ever serve this to a date, as it was just me, it didn’t matter.

  • I was so greedy with this dish, I didn’t get a chance to take a photo, however I will try and exercise some restraint next time I make this so I can post one.

1 comment: