Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cauliflower Soup.... low carb, low fat & high taste

I don’t know what it is driving me to make soup lately. It could be the fact that I have a huge amount of fresh vegies to get through, or that it is so easy and quick and it’s great for bringing to work for lunch (as part of my pre-KL holiday savings plan I am not allowed to buy lunch!) or it could be driven by the loss of daylight savings so I’ve been tricked into thinking that it is practically winter and therefore soup should be the meal of choice. Either way, soup is a great way to get loads of goodness in without expending a lot of effort.

And as mentioned in an earlier post, I had a very handsome and large cauliflower to use up – hence this cauliflower soup.

I did some skimming on the net for recipes, and the one I really wanted to make was what seemed to be an American favourite, as in that it was everywhere on my search –however it contained frozen vegies and/or a tin of potato soup (what the?) and a cup of cheese! It sounded so good – but it wasn’t in my healthy eating plan so I devised this super easy, low fat number.... which was still great – and one day, I’ll treat myself by adding a whole cup of cheese. Yummy!

(Light) Cauliflower Soup – in the Slow Cooker

1 Cauliflower- chopped into florets, stalk removed
1 Onion
3 Sticks of Celery – sliced
3 Small Potatoes – peeled and chopped into quarters
4 Cups Stock – I used Vegeta
½ Cup White Wine
2/3 Cup Milk – I used Skim
Nutmeg

Place cauliflower, onion, celery, potatoes, stock and wine into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or to your required setting.
When cooked carefully blend in batches, adding nutmeg and milk to your desired consistency.

This can also be cooked on the stove top – fry off onion and celery for a few minutes in some oil, adding cauliflower, potatoes, stock and wine and then simmer until vegies are cooked. Add milk and nutmeg when blending at the end.

Tasting Notes

  • This was super easy, super healthy and quick.

  • I did also think (way too late) that I could’ve added the rind of some parmesan I had to the cooking process... I’m sure this would’ve added a nice flavour and dimension to the soup. I will try this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment