Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lamb, Leek and Cannellini Bean Soup.... and the return of the Slow Cooker

Last week had been a not really very healthy eating week.... with 3 family dinners in the diary plus a night out at yoga, it wasn’t a good week for being strict and sensible. So around Thursday or Friday I made a pact that this week would be all about vegies – you know soups, salads, slices and stuff?

And when I thought of soups, I thought of George. And my next thought was then that perhaps he would be allowed out of the cupboard (following the chicken disaster earlier.... see the post!) since (a) it had been a while and (b) I find soup totally boring to cook so why not throw it in the slow cooker and be done with it?

I was also totally out of freezer space so something had to go and it was decided that it would be some lamb chops. Therefore I decided a meat ‘n bean soup would be in order and that’s how this recipe came about.

Lamb, Leek and Cannellini Bean Soup

Lamb - I used those chump style chops, and I had 3 of them (thawed). Or use 2 shanks, which would be far easier
1 Leek – sliced
2 Carrots – peeled and chopped
2 sticks Celery – chopped
1 cup Cannellini Beans – rinsed well
1 clove Garlic - crushed
4 cups Stock – I used a mixture of Vegeta and chicken stock powders
1 cup water
Rosemary

Spray the slow cooker insert with non-stick spray. Place chops on the bottom, add carrots, celery, dried (washed) beans, garlic, leeks and pour over stock. Lay the rosemary sprigs on top and cover.
I cooked this on high for 2 hours, gave it all a bit of a stir and then cooked on low for another 4 ½ hours.

Remove all bones and the rosemary stalks. Remove half the soup and blend (carefully) in a blender. Return the blended mix to the rest of the soup and stir well.

Tasting Notes


  • This was surprisingly good! I really didn’t know how this would turn out, but it made a very thick and flavoursome soup and was a great way to use up cheap cuts of meat.

  • Serves = heaps ie. it made a big potfull of thick tasty soup.

  • The lamb almost melted into the soup with the long slow cooking, however, due to the lamb being on the bone, it was a bit fiddly trying to pluck out the bits.

  • I did mean to add potato for the last bit of cooking, but was actually out at the Opera and didn’t get home until late... it didn’t need to starch or bulk from the spuds as the beans were more than hearty enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment