Monday, April 20, 2009

Home, sweet home... super quick KL food update

So the whirlwind birthday / easter big city getaway to Kuala Lumpur seems a million miles away! Having the birthday behind me is all good for another year, although I could've easily spent another week eating my way through KL. I had been told that the locals love to eat - but I had no idea how fantastic the food would be!

And such a vast array - and so cheap!

We were directly across from the famed Pavillion shopping mall that would have to have the best food court I have ever seen. I could've happily dined there each day and not sampled all I wanted to in a month!
From Korean to Ipoh, Japanese to Thai, Chicken & Rice (they had a whole shopfront!), Pizza in a Cone (don't ask!), Tony Romas to Subway, Malay to Singaporean, they had it all.

Although what struck me the most was their penchant for sweets and pastries.... the little KL ers went mad for the stuff - namely floss bread, filled cream puffs and gourmet donuts. How they remain so slim, I've never know.

We managed to eat fantastic Tapas at La Bodega (crumbed manchego cheese with honey dressing, lamb and mango kebabs, albondigas, paprika dip.... all topped off with some Bolinger and Tiramisu - yum!).

The next day, with a slight hangover, we decided Mexican from Chili's was in order. It was my first encounter with big, greasy, American style food and it was scary!
The birthday feast involved and Indian spread that was to die for.

All in all it was a great eating adventure and I want to go back to continue it!

However, the lowlight of our eating feasting was the plane food. I know, cliched but really it was entirely and simply too awful for words! For $10 on Air Asia it was to be expected, but the advertised meal, was nothing at all like the presented meal. A good tip would be to take a snack pack on board, or go for the instant noodles in a cup! And when they say mild, they don't really mean it... it's just a wee trick!!!


Take a look at the advertised image of Big Bruce's Smoky BBQ Chicken:


And the actual meal:

No comments:

Post a Comment