Thursday, April 23, 2009

Vegemite Chicken... Anzac Day & Marmite Chicken Tribute (and Bookmarked Recipes submission!)

Finally (after talking it up in one of her far too few posts), A & Sir L took me to Hawkers Cuisine in Northbridge and after all the hype and expectation, it more than lived up to its reputation!

We ordered an array of dishes, including Pineapple Duck, Jellyfish Salad, Patagonian Toothfish and the much talked about, Marmite Chicken. Which I adored. In fact several weeks after the fact, I'm still craving more of it!

So, since I was so in love with it, and knew I wanted it again, I decided to try it out at home.... and went right to the search for a homemade recipe online. And I found several, but this one from Chocolate & Zucchini was the best. The only recipes I could find online all called for Maltrose, which I'm ashamed to say, I have no idea what it is or where to find it in Perth..... so, I opted for the recipe on Chocolate & Zucchini which was quick, easy and totally tasty! I did actually make it with Vegemite, since I didn't have any Marmite.... but it was still ace! It was slightly sweeter than I was hoping for, but that's an easy fix for the next time I make it. I'd perhaps lessen the sugar and increase the Vegemite (I used a teaspoon but could easily have doubled it).

So rather than repeat the recipe, please use the link above for C&Z's very own creation.

But here's a look at the lovely syrupy, simmering sauce:


And the final product.


Tasting Notes:


  • Yum! Try it - at home or at Hawkers. It's so worth it. Trust me.

And since this was a bookmarked recipe to try (after tasting it at Hawkers and being desperate to recreate it) I am submitting it to Bookmarked Recipes weekly roundup. It's my very first submission to a roundup (how exciting, yet nervewracking) so I hope I pass muster!

No comments:

Post a Comment