Sunday, February 8, 2009

It worked!

Excitement!

As mentioned everything slows down for me in summer, which is kind of why the slow cooker seemed so appropriate. I've had one gathering dust in the back of the cupboard for years now. The first recipe I made wasn't entirely a success (onions really do taste so much better when you sweat them off) and since then he's seen more action in a friends kitchen who borrowed him to make killer boston baked beans. So I've been experimenting recently with roast lamb and veg and US style BBQ ribs.

I won't lie, I wasn't super jazzed with the results of the lamb. Everything all kinda tasted the same which isn't what you want. I think the whole deliciousness of roasted meat and veges comes down to the roasting (duh!) and its effect of evaporating off the liquid to impart a concentrated flavour and wonderful crispiness. Yeah well, the slow cooker makes everything moist. I described it as a 'flabby' flavour. I think H found this description off-putting.

The ribs on the other hand worked well. I cooked them for about 5 hours on the auto function that does a little high and then a lot of low. I made a sauce combo of smokey BBQ, tomato, onion, Mexican chillies and Coke. We ate them as ribs the first night after blitzing them under a hot grill. They were pretty yum but the second night was awesome. We pulled the grilled meat of the bone, before shredding and dousing it in extra sauce and warming gently in the micro. Then we slipped that deliciouness in generously buttered little bap rolls and served them with coleslaw and cold boiled baby potatoes sprinkled with loads of salt.

Heaven!

And no photos as that was dinner from probably 2 weeks ago. This week we focussed on simplicity. Pate on toast. Rice and salad. Oreo's and pints of icey soy milk.

Instead I'll post the link to the enormously cool slow cooker book I discovered (is 'enormously cool' and 'slow cooker' mutually exclusive???)

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

1 comment: