Monday, February 2, 2009

George. The new man in my life.



So, there's a new man in my life. His name is George. George Foreman and he's a slow cooker.

I'd been thinking of getting one for ages, but A's recent tribute to Australia Day - lamb shanks in the slow cooker - sounded so good, and so easy, that I just had to go and buy one.

And given the recent heat, and the fact that my apartment is the size of a postage stamp, it all seemed to be very sensible for keeping the heat to a minimum. And so far, our relationship has been wonderful... we've shared several dishes together - meatloaf, pork ribs, potato bake, lamb pot roast, rice pudding and just last night, the easiest Spag Bol sauce in the whole world.

It's also been a godsend the last week as my mother has been rather ill.... I've been able to plop a few things in the pot in the morning and come home to a full cooked meal that I just plate up and take over to her! Super easy!

So today I'll share the Easiest Spag Sauce in the world. And whilst it is not rocket science, it is just so darn convenient! I'd also like the share the ease and joy that throwing frozen food into the pot brings....

Super Easy Spag Sauce

250gm Beef Mince -frozen (* see note)
250gm Pork Mince - frozen
1 500gm Jar Pasta Sauce with Basil (I used Coles)
1 400gm Tin Italian Peeled Tomatoes
1 tsp Minced Garlic
2 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
Sprinkle Sugar

Plop mince in the pot. Add all other ingredients.

I cooked on high for 2 - 3 hours, then switched it to low and cooked it for another 3 hours.

I did stir this a few times to break up the mince and move it around to cook evenly.

I'd also suggest giving the bowl insert a quick spray with non stick spray stuff - I didn't but I'm sure it would've been useful!

Tasting Notes:
  • This is a lovely dense, meaty sauce. Usually I add vegies such as zuchini, carrot and onion, however this time I was so lazy that I did not bother. These can of course be added (grated) for the last hour or two of cooking if you wish.

  • This was the easiest thing I think I've ever made! I will certainly be making this again!
* Re: Frozen foods. All the research I've done, shows that frozen foods can be added to a crock. The tip is to use warm or room temp liquids with the frozen meats. I've done it twice now - once with a mini lamb roast, and with this and both times the meals worked perfectly! Obviously, if you aren't comfy with this, please thaw your meat first. You can also brown off the meat on the stove first if you can be bothered....

For further health & slow cooker safety tips, this is a great site http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/9632/is_slow_cooking_a_crock.html?cat=22



No comments:

Post a Comment